Monday, September 9, 2013

Finnish Summer Markets

After another very long night because of the jet lag, we decided to hit the town.  Since I've only seen Helsinki covered in snow, it was about time that I would get to experience it from a totally different perspective.
 
There are people everywhere!  The parks are covered with picnic blankets and people just laying down with a glass of wine and a good book enjoying the great weather that would only last a few more weeks.  Musicians in every corner, sharing their passion and feeling through music.  Cafe's empty in the inside but packed in their outside areas of people feeling at ease with the warmth of summer. 
 
Since last summer I've been fascinated with the summer markets in Finland.  I've heard that Finland has the most amazing berries and most of all the most amazing strawberries, which I'm crazy for.  So, we decided it was time to visit one of these local markets.  "Wow!"  This was the only word that would come out of my mouth over and over again while going through this market.  Fresh and local products that tasted so rich. None of these flavors would even come close to what I've tasted before.  No chemicals, no preservatives, all natural.  It was awesome!!!  Every single taste exceeded my expectations, every single bite was a feeling of amazement.


Last year when my boyfriend came back from his usual summer trip to Finland he would not stop talking about these amazing products.  And for me, being a very visual person, it was difficult to comprehend what he was talking about.  He would try to describe me those berries that are not found in the states such as the Bilberries and the Lingonberries but I could not seem to comprehend what he was trying to describe.  He brought with him some samples of these completely natural berries and all I was able say is omg!  Every single one was better that the last and at that moment it occurred to me that it would be a great idea if he could import those kind of products that are consider Superfoods in the states.  He found a way through his company Nordik Imports.  This way everybody would be able indulge the natural tastes of Finland.


Needless to say once surrounded by these delicious berries at the market, we ended up buying not a bag, but a box full of strawberries. Our fingers, mouths and cheeks were completely red but at least I got to satisfy my craving for Finnish Strawberries!!!

 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment